‘Tis Nobler in the Mind to Suffer... Or to Take Arms Against a Sea of Troubles and by Opposing End Them? (Hamlet act 3, scene 1)
Central Nervous System Diseases; Sarcoidosis; Optic Neuropathy, Ischemic; Papilledema; Scleritis; Diplopia
Shadow over left eye; Optic nerve edema
A 41-year old female with a shadow over the left eye.
VA: 20/20 OD, 20/25 OS, declining to 20/400
Spinal cord lesion composed of coalesced granulomata with central caseous necrosis surrounded by chronic inflammation.
IV steroids; Anti-bacterial agents
1. Mafee, Dorodi, Pai, Sarcoidosis of the eye, orbit and central nervous system, Radiologic Clinics of North
America, 37, 73-87, 1999.
2. Tahmoush, Amir, Connor, Farry, DiDato, Ulhoa-CIntra, Vasas, Schwartzman, Israel, Patrick, CSF-ACE
Activity in Probable CNS Neurosarcoidosis, Sarcoidosis Vasculitis and Diffuse Lung Diseases,19,191-197,
3. Gal, Koss, The Pathology of Sarcoidosis, Current Opinion in Pulmonary Medicine, 8, 445-451, 2002.
4. Karkhanis, Joshi, All that Caseates is not T.B., Lung India, 24,100-101, 2007.
5. Stickland-Marmol, Fessler, Rojiani, Necrotizing Sarcoid Granulomatosis Mimicking an Intracranial Neoplasm:
Clinicopathologic Features and a Review of the Literature, Modern Pathology, 13, 909-913, 2000.
Relation-Is Part Of
Case presented at the NANOS 2011 Walsh Session, February 5