Digitized by: J. Willard Marriott Library, University of Utah
Factories and Mills (Industrial Architecture)
Peery, David H.; Mack, James;
Ogden Milling and Elevator Company
Grist mills; Mills and mill-work; Buildings
Utah; Weber County; Ogden
1430 Washington Blvd.
The old Peery Mack mill, at 24th Street and Grant Avenue (northwest corner) Gift of M. J. Burson(Utah General Depot, Ogden). Used in Ogden City. PHOENIX ROLLER MILLS. This imposing five-story, water-powered mill, built in 1883 to replace one which burned the proceeding year, stood at 1430 Washington Blvd. Ogden Mayor David H. Peery and James Mack of Smithfield were owners. In 1888, Mack became president of the new company, Ogden Milling and Elevator Company, which controlled the Phoenix, Advance, and Taylor Mills. The Phoenix mill was built of two stories of stone, tapered from a five foot thickness at its base to 30 inches at the second story, third and fourth stories of brick, 24 to 21 inches thick, and a top story of wood covered with iron sheeting.