Church--Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints--Building--Exterior;
In March of 1933 the 1st Ward Chapel burned to the ground. Just before 6 a.m. on Sunday morning, 26 March, the fire siren sounded, waking up the city’s populace. Fire Chief Henry Millecam heard the alarm and was the first on the seen of the burning church. Firemen were unable to save the building but as firemen rushed into the building they were able to rescue a grand piano, along with other items. The building was completely destroyed. Work began immediately on plans for a new chapel made from mountain-red pressed brick. The structure was rebuilt in the same location, using part of the old foundation. The cornerstone was laid on Pioneer Day, 24 July 1933. Many organizations helped raise funds for the new church. One fund raiser, a rodeo, earned over $813 for the chapel construction. Church President, Heber J. Grant, dedicated the new chapel on 31 March 1934. This Church building was torn down in 1977 to make way for the new edition to the hospital.
Vernal Express Newspaper
B&W Copy Negative and Print
Uintah County Library Regional History Center
Digital Image,copyright 2003 Uintah County Library